Cross Platform apps (or sometimes known as wrapped cross platform apps) are applications where the software is coded with a ‘single code base’, meaning the main body of the applications functionality, and then wrapped in a small bit of native code to give it the best functionality and visuals on each individual platform.
Like Native apps, Cross Platform apps can only be distributed via their respective app marketplaces and require OS-specific developer accounts
Benefits of Cross Platform Apps:
- Only write the main code once, and can deploy the app on many platforms
- Saves on development time for multiple platforms
- The user interface/design can be identical between platforms
Drawbacks of Cross Platform Apps:
- Not all OS-specific features can be integrated
- The user interface/design may not feel like it is part of the OS
Not sure what type of app might suite you best?
Connect with us for a free 30 min. zoom consultation to find out what options might work best for you!