Progressive web apps (sometimes known as PWAs) are specially designed websites. They are viewable as a website with a browser, or they can be installed on a device, both computers and mobile devices, where they function like any other app.
Progressive Web Apps generally cannot be distributed via OS-specific market places. They are launched as a website, once on the website users can install it on their device.
Benefits of PWA’s:
- Able to be used on nearly any platform that has a web browser, without additional development
- Usually has a faster development timeline
- The user interface/design can be identical between platforms
Drawbacks of PWA’s:
- Minimal integration with platform features or hardware.
- Lots of testing required to be sure all platforms have the same experience
- Cannot be a purchasable application
- The user interface/design may not feel like it is part of the OS
Not sure what type of app might suite you best?
Connect with us for a free 30 min. zoom consultation to find out what options might work best for you!